Avocet and Chick

This Avocet continually vocalized while walking with the chick. The other parent hunted separately , while this one stayed with the chick. I was down on the ground, just waiting , which was the only way to get a shot as the parent steered away from a few other photographers who were standing with tripods.
D850, 70 to 300 lens at 125, handheld, 1/640 second at f10, ISO 280.

Any comment fair game.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A sweet image, Kathy. You must have been very close to get this at 125 mm. I love what the slight ripple does to the reflection of the beak.

Whoa, very sweet. The light is a little off but it’s not a big deal in this image. The details look a little crunchy, Kathy, maybe a touch less would work better?

1 Like

Hi Dennis. Thanks. I was pretty close although I could have zoomed in a bit more. I had the 300 prime on the camera and switched to the zoom when I saw how close they were going to pass me. I use the prime so much I’m not used to zooming in. Planning to go back and try and find this little family again. I’m pretty sure it’s the couple I photographed during their mating season as they were frequenting the same area. I was able to carry a lightweight regular non camera backpack yesterday with the extra lens in a lens case. That was a first re the shoulder. Any kind of pull bag would have been impossible where I was.

Hi Ashoka

Hey thanks!!! What do you mean by the light off???

On the details/ not my best lens and I did not zoom in like I should have. I had a 300 prime lens on but it looked like they would pass too close for that so had to switch to my not too wonderful zoom. I’m probably going back again to try some more. That chick is too precious!

Kathy, it’s just my preference but in general I prefer the bird to be completely front lit or backlit. If it is sidelit like this, I would try to get the face lit. I am just not a big fan of lifting up the shadow slider too much in a high contrast situation like this.

Adhika. Ok Thanks. I totally agree!! Was just glad to get this one at all.
Plan to go back if I can find time. This place gets direct harsh sun at sun up so I’m hoping an overcast day comes along.

Sweet scene. I like the water with the ripples and reflections.

Hi Kathy,
Love the reflection and open beak. Sweet moment you captured here. Nice frame!

I love this photo, Kathy! The symmetry of the reflections with the chick nestled perfectly in the middle is what makes this shot special. It’s a very serene, peaceful and intimate moment. Who cares about slightly bad light. If you had stood around and waited for perfect light you never would have gotten this shot which is way better than an ordinary bird photo with perfect lighting. This scene has the awww and wow factor that would cause people to purchase it and hang it in a room to create a special feeling rather than because it was a perfect capture of a bird.

1 Like