Avocet portrait

In the past month, I have been following these guys on their mating season. They are so much fun to photograph and probably some of the prettiest wading birds in the entire region. All feedbacks are much appreciated.

Experimenting with brightening of the water and a slight crop:

D500 and 500mm at f/5, 1/2000, ISO 250.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.!

I agree, a pretty bird, and you captured this nicely with good detail and a nice pose with the bill open. I also like the water and abstract reflection.

1 Like

The green shade of the background really adds to the subtle beauty of this bird. Overall very nice shot.

1 Like

Excellent image here with superb light. The color, detail, depth of field all work very well with the complementary color of the water. Good work.

One of my favorite waders as well, Adhika. Excellent image quality and beautiful light on the Avocet. I like the way the dark water makes the bird glow, but wish it weren’t quite so dark behind the bill. Unfortunately, we can’t have lighting to order in this avocation.

1 Like

Thanks, @David_Schoen and @Dennis_Plank!

Dennis, I agree completely about the bill and the darker water. I experimented with brightening of the water (attached in the original post) and I think it may actually work better. I have also cropped it slightly so it puts more emphasis on the bird. What do you think?

I like the repost, Adhika. Excellent processing.