Axes of Rotation

More whirlpools!

Even though I don’t know if this image works as a whole, I find it a bit mesmerizing so I decided to work on it and then it turned into a monochrome shot. It’s the former mill on Dudley brook, now turned into a bridge and the former mill pond which has been freed, but still makes these glorious whirlpools. This is 15 seconds.

Even though there’s a lot going on, I like it. The reflections and the motion of the water are surprising. I like the two big branches that point at the bridge and the mysterious forest to the left. It was one of my last outings in NH and no doubt a bit of conservation land I would have returned to again and again if I hadn’t moved. It’s in the Little River Conservation area where the Little River and Dudley Brook meet. Great walking trails and roaring water.

Specific Feedback Requested

Processing input welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod & CPL - probably a neutral density filter as well.

Processed in Lightroom for a crop and the B&W conversion. Lens correction, white & black points, clarity, texture, sharpening etc. Then a LOT of brush work to manage tonalities - some intersecting with luminance ranges for better control.

@the.wire.smith

This one I like and cannot imagine it as a color image. I like the swirls and how they lead the eye gently upstream.

Love the hint of the closer swirl, Kris. It adds a great deal of mystery. I also think B&W was the only choice here. Excellent.

Different and wonderful! I love how well-defined the tree reflections are with that much swirl going on. The wide angle pulls me right up the stream. The forest on the left looks like it came from a storybook.

This is fab! I love the tree reflections under the swirls.

I really like this big, swirl. The swoop in the foreground is curvy and graceful, leading me in. Beautiful scene.

Excellent image. Your comp works really well, even the cutoff swirl LRC balances things quite nicely. No nits here, really good.

Thanks @Chris_Calohan, @David_Bostock, @Diane_Miller, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Mark_Muller & @Harley_Goldman - it was a fun shot to set up. On a mushy bank crouched under overhanging trees. I have a few other angles and tries, but this one worked the best.

The forest on the left is really sweet and I found a couple of mildewed plastic chairs still sitting there even though I don’t think any has sat in them for ages. Also found a dilapidated deer stand in another part of the woods.

The reflections were the biggest surprise on this shot. Although I could see them IRL, they didn’t register until I started working on the photo. Mill ponds are known for their stillness and it looks as if that lasts beyond they’re use as storage/holding areas.