B&W conversion of Merlin bust

This patient Merlin allowed me to pull up next to the fence post that it was on, so I took a number of images. I’m an admirer of B&W where applicable, and I thought this conversion might work. I’ll post the color image too.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’d greatly appreciate any editorial suggestions, especially on the B&W conversion, e.g., texture, contrast, tone, background, anything. I’d also enjoy feedback on the color image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D7500; Nikkor 200-500 mm lens @ 500 mm. Aperture priority, f6.3; ISO 500; 1/500 s, exposure comp 1+. It was late afternoon, and the light was falling and low. The image is perhaps a little soft around the bird’s shoulders, so maybe I should have narrowed aperture, not sure.

1 Like

The color is subtle and lovely, and I prefer it, but maybe with a lower exposure and more contrast, which the B/W has.

Here’s a contrast trick, but I didn’t change the exposure. Other techniques would yield different results.

Craig, I am a big B&W fan and this one works quite well in my view. The higher contrast helps to make the bird stand out. I agree with @Diane_Miller that the color version is a little flat and could use some contrast or clarity. I like Diane’s tweaks to the color image.

As for depth, you’ve got the eyes, beak, and full front all in focus and sharp. No worries about the softer shoulder for me…Well done.

Hi Diane, David,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I’ll select the subject on the color image, increase contrast, and, at the same time, decrease exposure, and see what I get. Again, thanks for the critique, much appreciated.

This is a nice portrait and pose. I like the color image better as I think it conveys the environment. The contrast adjustment made by Diane makes it a much better image.

Diane’s tweak with contrast is perfect. The subtle colors of this merlin goes very well with the BG. Awesome…Jim

Hi David, Jim,

I attempted to reply last night, but I think that I bumbled it. At any rate, thanks for your comments. I have attempted to recreate Diane’s tweaks and the color image is much improved.