Baby Lake

Thanks Steven!

Thanks David!

So true Cameron. The details can be so important in the overall impact of an image. Over the years I have learned to sweat the details and even have a couple of presentations I give just on the importance of these details. You’re doing great and this stuff will be second nature soon enough.

1 Like

I agree with others that this is trippy looking. It almost looks fake. Like little plastic trees and bushes that a kid would use to build a train set. I still can’t wrap my head round this. It is SO unique. I think I actually like the image that you shared where the perspective is not so straight down but at more of an angle which looks more real however the original post is definitely more unique. Which image is reworked? The top image or the one underneath it? Terrific image and a good reminder that Fall is coming real soon!!!

1 Like

I think you get to the heart of it David that it looks more ‘real’ in the angled shot. I suppose they both have their positives and negatives. It was a nice scene to stumble upon. The first one is the rework. It’s my first time adding a rework to an edit, so I’m still learning. I did some darkening of a few of the trees and the waterline, and removed some of the lily pads.

Was there an earlier version of this that has been removed? I was left with the image that the pond would have been smaller (and better) OK However, the first one is more functional. Here, the pond is a bit too dominant and leaves the environment in a secondary relationship. However, I don’t think the pond is so important that it takes up a large part of the picture. I shoot quite a lot of these and I shoot many different versions at different heights and with different compositions. I would say that a pond in a smaller size and at a different angle might work

Hi Jorma. Thanks for the feedback. I’d love to see your shots if they are online somewhere. The top of the post should have a repost followed by an original. There’s also an angle in there somewhere. I’m fairly new to this updating thing, so I may not have been the best at putting things in the right place.

I found your website. Absolutely beautiful. I am totally in awe. Really love the Ariel shot with the pink light on the trees and the mist in the background. Do you use a drone or are those taken from a plane?

Thanks cameron for nice feedback! I shoot with a Mavic 2 pro drone. I usually shoot 5 shots with hdr exposure and a lot of panorama shots. I often fly and take several pictures like a satellite, which I stich together in Photoshop. This way you can get really sharp large-format pictures. The exact picture you are talking about is bad and too dark. I have to put a better version on it :slight_smile:
By the way, that Nisi landscape polarizer is the best

Isn’t it so amazing what we may see, when we change our perspective in ways?

There isn’t much for me to say, that has not been said already and consequently altered through the rework, so I will simply leave you with this: beautifully captured. The detail and abstraction found here is stunning.

1 Like

Thank you Cody. That very kind of you. Have a great day!

This is really compelling, Cameron. It feels almost like a small scene/abstract thanks to the drone’s altitude and the way the trees look. The reflection makes the image, imho. If there were no reflection, or if the reflection were more complex, the image wouldn’t have the same appeal. For me, the angled image you share above simply looks more journalistic (you know, like a realtor’s drone shot of a property for sale–well, a really cool property shot by a really artistic realtor). For me, the straight down shot makes the image much more creative and compelling in part because of the loss of scale and the way the trees become abstracted textures and colors.

Really nice work,
ML

1 Like

Hi Marylynne. Thanks for the great response. I also definitely prefer the straight down image almost because it feels more like you are somehow looking up not down. The angled image is more representational. You know you are looking at a lake but I also agree less interesting for it.

I’m late to the party here, but this one is wonderful Cameron. Congrats on the Editor’s Pick.

1 Like

Thanks John. Late or not I’ll take it.

1 Like

Hi Cameron, this is a capture of a lifetime and I wish you many more! Really like the loss of dimension and toy/miniature aspect to it. It’s intriguing and absolutely gorgeous. I think you did an excellent job with the rework, straightening the scene and making the colours pop nicely: it succeeds in keeping the eye firmly within the image. I also see that you decided to increase the amount of little white dots in the lake reflection. It’s interesting. Do you know what these actually are? I can’t figure it out.

1 Like

Thank you Laura that is very kind of you. If you see more dots that may be the initial and not the rework. The dots are Lilly pads and I removed some of them for the rework.

Ha sorry about that! It appears I like the original better. Looking at it again, the rework feels more like falling into the sky - which is a great feeling! - and the original feels more like a toy landscape - more designed/ artificial - which is beautiful and fascinating! Purely a matter of taste, and even of the mood of the moment. The rework shows a lot more trees around the lake, has a more spacious feel to it. Is it a different crop of the original image? I can’t image that content-aware would have been able to add all this detail so realistically?

1 Like

No worries at all. They are just two different crops. I’m not quite sure how to even use content aware, I stick mostly to Lightroom. I keep thinking I need to learn more about photoshop. My original intent was to include as much fall color as I could. I have cropped it a few different ways. I also put up an angled shot from the same ‘session’.

It’s good that you had enough of the scene to make different crops. Then, it’s a matter of creative decision… :slight_smile: Yes, I saw the angled shot as well. It’s interesting, too. Great to see.