Caddo Lake Sunrise

Honestly open to any ideas or commentary on the image. I have more than one version but this one resonates most strongly with me. I enjoy learning how others would change or tweak an image as it helps me understand how other photographers see an image.

What technical feedback would you like if any? This was processed in both LR & PS. I primarily use LR for all but edits that clean up an image from distractions. I realize the power in PS and I’m slowly improving my skill set there.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Open to any commentary but also know that each viewer brings their own interpretation based on experience, etc. From a composition standpoint a comment could be made about adding height, etc but what isn’t shown in the image could be items or elements that made that composition untenable. I’m still okay with suggestions and will not take offense.

Any pertinent technical details: Nikon D850 300mm f4.0 iso64 1/20th sec

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Very nice! I love scenes like this. The flat water makes this like a forest scene but simpler, and with a reflection. I like how there is interest in both the shadows and the light.

Nitpicks, if you’re keen on them (no offense intended):

• This isn’t a dealbreaker for me, but I think the composition is just a little heavy on the left. I think you could crop off the right side such that there is the same amount of space between the left edge and left tree, and the right edge and the right tree.

• I also wish the depth of field were wider. I like that the tree trunk on the right is in focus, but I wish more of the light was, too. When I view the image large, I am drawn to a lot of the jumble of branches, but for me they are the least interesting part of the image.

• Keep going with photoshop! I think a lot of us have been in the same spot you are, and it’s just such a great program to become comfortable with. I think you did a great job of sharpening this image in post, but one way to practice using layers and masks and to less emphasize the dead branches would be to selectively mask out some of the sharpening on them to make them less prominent. Just an idea!

Thanks for sharing this image with us.

David, I like the light and color here, your processing for exposure, contrast and saturation looks right on the money. As Brent mentioned, we frequently discuss the challenges of shooting the chaos within a forest, and how to tame complexity. Having the water around the trees helps. You also chose to use a 300mm lens, which softens the background. But I agree with Brent about the comp being too heavy on the left, the bright yellow branches and the other two trees tend to compete for attention with your main subject, the sharp tree on the right. If this were mine, I might consider cropping to a vertical or square that includes only the tree on the right. This would simplify this image greatly.

I like the vibrant colours and subject here. The shallow depth of field is not something I usually see in the many other images I have seen here. One the one hand I like how it emphasises the right tree but on the other hand it also highlights the not so attractive mass of branches in the middle of the frame. I think selectively reducing the clarity in this area may help.

This is the best usage of DOF I’ve seen in a long time. The degree to which the elements are out of focus is perfect in my mind. All the elements are out of focus yet clearly distinguishable, yet the main subject is razor sharp. It works for me because it’s different.

My only suggestion would be to experiment with WB and add some cooler values to the mix. I have no idea if that would be more interesting, though.

David, beautiful first post. I agree that the image is a little heavy on the left, but I think it is due to the bright yellows there. I would burn the yellow a bit and desaturate it a bit, more closely matching the yellows top right. I really like the shallow DOF. This works for me.

Excellent first post David and welcome to NPN 2.0. There is much I like here, but also have some reservations. First, the colors are great and I think your use of selective focus and DOF work to great advantage here as Igor has pointed out. To be honest though, my first thought was why the heck did he use f/4? But then I quickly realized the effects of bringing focus directly to the trunks and to the advantage, throwing distracting elements out of focus, which really helps here.

The colors in the reflection and throughout as well as the stillness in the water are great as well. The lighting is beautiful.

My biggest reservation is the mass of messy branches in the middle. Even at f/4 there’s enough dof to bring much of that mess in to focus and I find it blocks me from enjoying the scene.

Look forward to more images and for your participation.

Lon

Oh, and I have to say what you wrote in your bio strikes me directly. This is exactly what I think and feel. There is hardly a moment that goes by that I’m not looking at things, my surroundings, and mentally taking pictures… You wrote:

For as long as I can remember, I’ve spent my days with a camera running in the back of my mind. As my eyes travel around my surroundings they are constantly taking pictures. Sometimes they are photos of what I “see” and other times they are photos of what “is".

This is really nice and processing looks good as well. I agree with Harley and would try to either burn down the yellows a bit or reduce the luminosity of the yellow channel in LR. Beautiful first post.

Welcome David.

I thought maybe if the luminosity of the entire image was brought down that maybe the those FG branches would not be so prominent. But I think they are just to much in the smack dab center to do anything about it. They kind of disrupt the whole image for me.

Brent, thanks so much for your feedback! There’s always something to learn!

1 Like

Thank you Ed, the crop idea is a good idea to get a different take on the environment.

Thanks Brent, it is truly the way to take art to the next level due to the power in the program.

I’ll definitely give this a try!

I agree, that I should be more selective in my edits. It’s key to upping the quality of my work.

Thank you Igor!!

That’s great advice! Thank you!

Yeah!! I’ts not just me! Thanks Lon!

Thank you Youssef & Rudy for your feedback as well!!

Lots of great suggestions here that I agree with.

When I was kid, I used to go with my dad and his friends to fish Caddo for bass. The place is very mystical, and your image brings back some nice memories of cruising the bayous in a flat-bottom boat watching the birds, looking for snakes, and casting for fish.
-P

David, I’m coming in late on this, but just have to say you have a fine first post, and the warm colors work well here. Shooting swamp scenes is one of my favorite things to do. I have only been to Caddo Lake one time, but didn’t take advantage of it, must return some day.

Appreciating the shallow dof here. Very cool.

aF