Back Lit Ferns

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

i fell and tore my rotor cuff all to pieces … slipped in leaves working on grabbing an image … weeks later with one good arm, I shot this image… just wanted to contribute something on the NPN…

Specific Feedback

The sun was so bright and just shined through the plant … decided to go high contrast and a little abstract in the image … any comments would be great …

Technical Details

ISO 100 shutter 500 f 18 edited in photoshop

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Gill, sorry to hear about your injury! I hope you recover quickly. I really like this, but it probably needs a little more space up top. I love the contrast and detail. Well done!

Thanks. I framed it the best I could with one arm and got as close to the plant as possible. This way I feIt i could catch as much detail as possible. Thanks for showing interest.
:camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

1 Like

A very interesting composition and the detail in the ferns still shows very well, Gill. I like your high contrast approach and the way you kept it constrained enough to still show the details. Like Saundie, I do wish you’d had enough control at the time to provide a little more room at the top so the ferns didn’t quite exit there, but that’s a minor nit for a fine image and I suspect if you were so inclined that you could add the extra canvas up there and finish off the tip of that central frond.

Thanks. I not efficient to fix the top of the image in photo shop. My main objective was the back lighting and try to capture the intensity of the moment. Very bright and harsh.
Thanks for showing interest. The NPN is a great network of photographers and always appreciate any comments and ideas to improve my images.

:camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::pray::pray::pray::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

Gill, I’m sorry about your injury. That is some beautiful back lighting on the ferns. I especially like the areas where shadow meet the light as it creates some cool shapes. Most of the visual weight is near the center so I don’t mind the tops of the ferns being cropped off a bit. I also like how the shadow areas up top continue down at the bottom. Good job shooting this with only one arm. Looks detailed and sharp to me.

Thanks. :camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:. Real intense light that day. Always trying to find that one and see what happens. Having Fun is most important to me to be Creative.
Thanks again :pray::pray::pray:

Very nicely done. I love ferns and rarely feel that my photos do them justice. The backlighting really brings out the lines and textures of the fronds. Nice idea to do these in black and white. I’ve not thought of doing so and will have to try it. The composition is well balanced but, as others have said, I wish there was a little more breathing room at the top.

Thanks so much. I framed my shot with one good arm trying to get as much detail as possible. The sun was very strong so I got in maybe a little too tight.

Back lighting photography can be a real challenge. I saw the contrast when making the shot. But you never know until you get home and see what you have …. Black and white photography is my main focus , and try to learn and improve as I go. That’s is what the NPN is all about. Great photographers exchanging ideas and making helpful suggestions on images we shoot.

Thanks so much and showing interest.
Means a lot to me. :camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash: