Backlight with sun and clouds

Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took and posted a photo of this diversified family of trees taken on the opposite side of the hill. Taken against the sun in the morning of a cloudy day when the sun spread lights an shades always changing.

Specific Feedback

What do you think about the light and colors of the hill in the shade?

Technical Details

Z7ii, Nikkor 70-200mm at 70mm - f/16, 1/60 s, ISO 64

2 Likes

The colors and light feel very somber, at least to me, Giuseppe. It is a lovely scene and one I would enjoy wondering around. Thanks for sharing this part of the world I have never seen!

Nice @Giuseppe_Guadagno, I really like the framing and the way the clouds and the hillside seem to have very similar shapes and curves. I am glad you have more ground here than sky. That seems the less obvious choice and I think it pays off well here. The line of the trees are nicely spaced and set off against the sky. The ground does seem maybe a little too over processed. Though, it doesn’t bother me much since it seems like a painting and just bigger, impressionistic brush strokes. Well done.

@linda_mellor thanks for your advise, I will try to give more light to this side of the hill in shade stopping before changing the mood.
@patrick6 it was this particular painting look that asked me for a photo, it was already in the reality of this scene, may be for the light reflections create by the clouds in a special soil made predominantly of clay.
I am glad that both of you like this unusual photo.

1 Like

Giuseppe, I think I have missed lead you in using the word “somber.” I think the light perfectly reflects a calm, quite and peaceful place, which, IMHO, does reflect a pensive mood. Very nicely seen.

@linda_mellor in any case I like more the image with a bit of light added. I also fuond that there was still a bit of noise that I took aways.
Thanks Linda.

1 Like

I very much like the simplicity in this scene, Giuseppe. It definitely looks and feels like a painting. A painter would space the trees just as this scene represents. There would be a simple foreground and background for the trees to stand out against and you have all of that in a real live scene. I don’t feel that the foreground has been overprocessed at all. It’s very believable and life like and I dare say you could could take it even farther if you are so inclined. I find the trees are very whimsical looking and placed just as you place them if you were a painter. Tall and thin, short and squat, and those two little little tiny trees just to left of the mountain are just so perfectly cute. I love the slight warmth in the color of the sky making this feel inviting.
I am very much enjoying this one Giuseppe and I would print this one big and hang it.