Backlit Spanish Moss

Setting sun provided blacklight for spanish moss. Taken at Dead Lakes @ Wewahitchka, FL.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback welcomed and appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fuji GFX50S
1/30 @ f/6.4
100-200mm @ 200mm (158mm = 35 mm equivalent)
100 ISO
RAW conversion in Capture One Pro 21
PS 2021, Luminar Flex, Topaz DeNoise, NIK sharpening

@simplynatureart

Revised w/ Kristen’s warming suggestion

Warmed and with reduced vibrance as per Kristen’s suggestion.

4 Likes

The back lit moss and leaves are striking Bill. The out-of-focus background is appealing in that it doesn’t detract from the stars of your show.

1 Like

I like how balanced the two groups of leaves are - a perfect frame for the moss (which is neither Spanish nor moss, lol). Textures and colors in the leaves are soft and vibrant and contrast really well with the totally different subject. Possibly you could lower the vibrance and warm things up a tad in terms of white balance. I bet it would feel very different. Nicely seen!

1 Like

This really well done Bill, masterful use of back lighting on translucent subjects. The composition feels very well balanced , especially due to the leaves in the LLC and URC. This positioning adds a nice diagonal flow element to the image, that is very dynamic when combined with the strong vertical lines in the moss and trees.

1 Like

I agree with everything Eva brought up. In addition, the color again looks just right with yellowish green in some areas and cyan green in others that work well as a combination.

I’m curious if you noticed better results with capture one vs photoshop with these raw files. I have read something to that effect I believe.

1 Like

Love this one. This a very fine composition, all the attention to detail is in there.
For my taste is a little on the green side, and I would try to lower the exposure on the background.

But, again, a very fine picture

1 Like

@Eva_McDermott , @Kris_Smith , @Ed_McGuirk , @Igor_Doncov , @joaoquintela - Thank you all for your comments, critiques, and suggestions!

Kris - I tried your warming suggestion and posted a comparison. I forgot to lower the vibrance , sorry!

Igor - I have always gotten better results using Capture One, at least for about 95% of my images. There will occasionally be an image that looks better in ACR or LR, but very seldom. The only time I even cut on LR is if I’m using a colorchecker for really critical color work. To me, ACR is easy to use but I’ve used Capture One since version 3 (now on version 21) and since Capture One allows layers it’s not even a contest anymore IMHO. I’m sure a lot of my bias is due to the fact I’m much more competent and versed in C1.

Joao - Kris mentioned the same thing about the greens, but I forgot to edit that when I warmed it up. I’ll go back and reduce the Vibrance a bit before printing this.

I like the warmer version even with the intense color. It is more inviting to me. Thanks for giving it a try.

1 Like

This is a beautiful image and I like it quite a bit. I’m torn between the original and the new warmer version because they both have their appeal. I guess it’s quite individual.

1 Like

@Kris_Smith , I just went back reduced vibrance; please check it out when you get a chance.

I prefer the original version. In terms of color you could argue both ways but the brighter backlit moss to me is significantly better.

1 Like

@Igor_Doncov , I agree the moss in the original looks better, but I like the warmer feel to the revision. I think I may go back and warm it a bit less than the example above but make sure the moss remains brighter.