Backlit watering-Favorite of 2019

I went to the local botanical garden for the first time with the intention of taking a photo that I could enter into an exhibit of photos from the garden. I found very little that I wanted to take, but the way the light hit the sprinklers in the section of ferns and Japanese maples appealed to me, even more so in B and W. I had to dodge the water as it came around towards me. Several people from the local camera club asked me what time of day I took it, where was I standing, etc, I guess in hopes of doing a similar shot. It was just one of those times when I lucked out and had my eyes open, which I know we have all experienced. The print will be in the exhibit, and because it is unusual for me to really like one of my black and whites, I have chosen it as a favorite.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) One image, Hand held: ISO1600, 87mm, f/8, 1/1600 sec.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

I see why you like it so much. It is an outstanding image. Very creative and unique. My only suggestion would be to burn down the leaves just above center on the left edge. Minor stuff, quite a fine image.

That is simply stunning. Just wow!

Kathy,

Oh My! This is spectacular! Maybe I didnā€™t need to know it was sprinklersā€¦ :roll_eyes: :wink: :innocent: ā€¦ but you most certainly capitalized on the opportunity!

The b&w presentation is special as well. Congrats!

Lon

Oh wow, Kathy. Very well deserved recognition to be part of the exhibition. I really love how the whole scene is bathed in the light. There is enough ā€œdarknessā€ at the bottom to ground the whole image and the two trees anchor the whole image really well. Thanks for sharing this with us. Itā€™s a magical image.

This is just magical, Kathy. The highlighted waterdrops make for a unique presentation as does the B&W treatment. My only suggestion would be to crop or clone out the straight object in the LRC as it does catch my eye a little. I can see why it is one of your favorites.

Kathy, What a wonderful unique creation this is - spectacular. I love the texture of the water and the way you have captured and managed the light. This is a photographic wonder. Larry

All has been said already. A wonderful image.

Kathy, this looks great. Iā€™m loving the graininess that the sunlight on the flying water adds and how well you show off the maple trees and their trunks. Youā€™ve created a great mood with your b&w treatment. Congrats on being chosen to display this as a print.

Unique with stunning lines and texture

Kathy, this is truly an excellent B&W shot. Love how the light is hitting the water. Great tones and texture. :+1: :+1:

Stunning work.
:vulcan_salute:

Luck is only part of it. Itā€™s often amazing to me how split second decisions we make when shooting are the difference between a great image and a delete. This image has a very striking look, it feels like it was taken from a rainforest. Great choice on the B&W, it ramps the drama up even further.