Framed

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image is from an overnight trip with my brother to Blackwater Falls SP, WV in October. I captured a couple of variations on this scene, but I liked this one the best due to the light mist. The wet conditions from a light rain made the vibrant autumn color really pop as it nicely framed Blackwater Falls.

The park is only a four hour drive from home so the last few years we have made it a point to plan a trip around peak fall color during a rain event if possible. I have to say that it worked out beautifully this year as the color may have been the best that I have seen during that time.

Now I am ready for some snow!

Specific Feedback

I am relatively happy with the image, but if you notice anything please feel free to let me know.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 39mm, f 11 @1/13 sec, ISO 400, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release and tripod.

2 Likes

The color seemed to be exceptional this year several places. This is lovely. I really like the mix of colors in the trees and the atmosphere from the rain.

1 Like

Ed, this is a great look at Blackwater. The framing works well, the colors are excellent and the mist adds depth. I also like the long view from a different angle.

1 Like

Ed, whenever I see these wet or damp fall color scenes such as this I think of the drastic contrasts between the northeast and our southwest environments. Although our desert regions can get very cold, I was in 20 degrees yesterday photographing, it’s still extremely arid… :upside_down_face:
The wonderful fall colors framing the waterfall is excellent… :+1:

1 Like

Ed, this is beautiful! I hope you have wall space for this one!

1 Like

Overall, a balanced and well-constructed composition. The colors are beautiful and in harmony, and the depth effect is fine. Perhaps the only little thing is the top of that one fir right at the edge of the picture.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone @karlag, @Mark_Seaver, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Shirley_Freeman and @jorma for your thoughts and suggestions.

@karlag : The colors were awesome this year,

@Mark_Seaver : You can get closer with the viewing platform on the other side, but sometimes when the conditions are right I prefer this vantage point.

@Paul_Breitkreuz : The northeast and southwest environments definitely are drastic contrasts, but both are beautiful for different reasons.

@Shirley_Freeman : I do have a spot picked out. :grin:

@jorma : Good catch on that pine being to close to the edge. I will be sure to add a little canvas before I make my print.

1 Like

Great shot, Ed. We got some great color on that trip. Everything is nicely saturated from the rain and the mist adds a nice touch. No critiques from me. The tree doesn’t bother me. :vulcan_salute: