Backward Glance

One of my favorite avian photos of 2020. I really like the simplicity of the scene plus it was nice to get the backside view of the elegant wings and tail of an Arctic Tern while still capturing that ever important eye!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 506 mm, ISO-250, f/6.3, 1/4000, hand held.

@garyminish

Yes, you slipped the eye in there, Gary. You framed just a great look at the back side and caught the awesome symmetry and design in the Tern , a little jet in the air. I enjoy watching them at the Dana Point harbor and it is tough to follow them with a spotting scope or binocs . My life list has just one Arctic Tern from Potters Marsh, AK. You’ve given me a great look, my goodness you can clearly count all the primaries, secondaries and see the soft tones of the feathers. You captured the tail feathers perfectly, so long on the side, wow! Looks like it is thinking of making a quick bank to the left. In this case I wouldn’t mind the subject in the middle of the frame, if you have more room on the right side. But it looks pretty darn good as is. How many frames per second do you shoot for a take like this? Such a great shot it would be on my best bird image list for sure. Merry Christams Good luck in 2021!

Thanks for your comment, Stephen. In this case the tern was flying upstream above the river and scanning for salmon fry (thus the head turn). I just followed it with a short burst at ~10fps. Terns can be difficult to follow because of their unpredictable flight and their relatively small size. It’s a fun challenge and very rewarding when you get a special shot.

Gary, the big “X” of spread wings and tail works very well, with the head turn and eye adding an extra special touch. The head turn also fits (or enhances) the framing, adding a good sense of action.

Hi Gary,

A very nice comp with the light sky treated perfectly. I like how you captured enough of the head to complete the scene. Well done…Jim

Excellent, Gary. Terns are so beautiful and a lot of fun (and frustration) to shoot. You caught a great “pose”.

This is definitely an “elegant” Tern!! An amazing capture with wonderful IQ and the cloud on the left provides a perfect balance. 11/10.

Firstly, Happy Holidays Gary and thank you for the delightful present. Your “look” at this seabird is certainly refreshing. I’m enjoying the symmetry and color harmony thoughout. Nice detail in the feathers and a bonus with the head turned in. The hazy clouds frame him nicely too. My only suggestion would be to catch one with a small fry in its beak… :wink: :laughing: