Badlands Snow IV

Here’s another snow image from Badlands. There’s maybe 1 or 2 more left in the pipeline from this day.

5DII, 24-105 @ 88
f/8, 1/200s, ISO200
TK curves adjustments

I love the undulating hills in the foreground, with the rim of no snow. And the subdued light is beautiful. I’m thinking the rolling foreground hills would make a nice abstract by themselves (or maybe you’ve already done this - I haven’t been able to be around much, so might have missed it). Nonetheless, this is very beautiful as is!

Viewing this before reading @Bonnie_Lampley 's comments, I was thinking along the same lines of cropping out the sky and making this a very abstract scene. With the sky, I might add more contrast to the sky, giving it a more stormy look? Another nice take from the Badlands.

Wow, the snow changes the way the Badlands presents itself. I think the contrast is nice as presented but yeah I will agree about going tight here, I feel that there is not much interest in the BG.

Lovely image Craig. Both the light and composition are wonderful. My only suggestion would be to slightly rotate the image counter clockwise to balance out the right verses left sky imbalance.

Another strong image from this trip Craig, very nicely done. I like the image as presented, the steely blue sky plays a large role in creating a winter mood in this image. The WB used in your processing works perfectly for me. It must have been a real treat to be able to experience these wonderful conditions in person. Keep these coming, you have an interesting and unusual collection of images from Badlands.

Not sure what you concept for this photo was Craig, but it feels very desolate to me, so if that was your intent, I think it works great. As for cropping as others have suggested, i like the idea and think that would make a great abstract photo. I’ve only been to the Badlands a couple of times, during the summer, so this is quite a different view for me. Thanks for posting it.

Looks like you have another keeper from your trip, Craig. The details with the grasses show up nicely when opening the large version. My only suggestion; just my personal preference; would be to make this even more abstract with a crop of the sky placing more of an emphasis on the undulating hills. Nice work.

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley, @Harley_Goldman, @Adhika_Lie, @Tony_Siciliano, @Ed_McGuirk, @linda_mellor and @Ed_Lowe!

I do have other frames from this and other areas that have no sky, so you’ll likely see that later.

Harley, I also like the comment about making the sky a little more contrasty. I’ll work that up.

Tony, good catch on the rotation. It does feel a little crooked.

Ed M, yes, it was a treat to be in Badlands under these conditions.

Linda, I didn’t have a specific intent here, but I will say that I often had the desolate feeling that day. There were very few people in the park, which is certainly a unique experience in a National Park.

1 Like

Craig,

A little late to the Badlands party, but wanted to comment. I think this is a fabulous winter landscape from the Badlands - the snow leaving just the right amount of exposed ground to make for some great texture and detail throughout the landscape.

I would agree with others on the thought of an abstract of just the landscape without sky - but it sounds like you already thought of that and so look forward to another post.

No nits really. I’m wondering about a 1/2 stop or so increase in luminosity to really make the snow a little more crisp with a touch of pop. Minor stuff.

Lon

Thanks Lon. I’ve lightened up the image per your recommendation. I like it a lot, thanks!

1 Like