Badlands: Yellow Mounds without sky

Another look at the Yellow Mounds section of Badlands National Park, leaving out the overcast sky.

5D3, 24-105 F4 IS II @ 50 mm, 1/20 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod and polarizer

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Very nice abstract image Mark, you had perfect light to emphasis the colors here. While the yellow colors are strong, they look pretty realistic, and not over saturated. The zig zag arrangement of the ridges is also very effective. My only nit is that I would suggest cloning away the dark bush in the ULC, my eye keeps getting drawn there, and I’m not sure it adds much to the scene. I like the image as presented, but I also tried flipping it horizontal, and it works just about as well, though I slightly prefer the way you have shown it here. Nicely done…

Mark,
This is my favorite of your recent Badlands series. The way the narrow band of colors lead the viewer deep into the scene is really special. I think Ed’s suggestion to clone out the dark bush in ULC is a good suggestion. Nice work!

Hi Mark. I will echo the two previous posters comments.:vulcan_salute:

Another nice one, Mark. Works fine for me with no sky, and it makes me want to hike into that portion up top left. I don’t mind the little tree out there, but agree it might look good without it. Love those mustard colors.

Mark, feels like this would fit the weekly challenge as well with that lone tree at the top but I agree about cloning it out.

The zig zag of the hills with their colors has produced some wonderful layering, Mark. The overcast day was perfect for shooting this scene and bringing out the details and textures throughout the image. I too would clone out the dark bush, but that is just my personal preference. Beautifully done.

Mark, this came out really nice. I also agree it might be the best from your recent Badlands photos. The composition lacking the sky works very well here.
I especially like the contrasting brighter colors along the gorge walls and back to the flatland in the BG against the muted earth-tones. Seems like our eyes immediately want to follow the colorful path deep into the scene. The distant BG area is interesting in it’s own right. The small tree or large bush might benefit from that flat area for some possible pooling of water there during periods of rain or runoff…:+1:

@Adhika_Lie, you’re right about fitting the WC…how ironic that I hadn’t thought of that. :laughing: