Badlands

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

For me this image captures the essence of the Badlands with all its colors and shapes and lines.

Technical Details

70mm f/14 1/160 sec iso 100

3 Likes

Oh I know right where this is. I loved that little stream down there as well as the blanket of green heading up into all those colors. Like a terrestrial rainbow.

I like how the landscape is at once subtle and then pointed - literally. The sidelight really helped you out here with the contours and color variations. The sky looks like it got slapped a bit harder though and I find my eyes wandering there because of the intense blue and contrast. Plus I keep looking at the vulture or whatever bird is up there. I like the cloud formation shape though and that you’ve placed it center with the main mountain shape. You could lower the exposure and saturation of the hill in the LRC so it would work as a framing element more than it does. Making the sky a bit more of a piece with the light in the landscape would be a benefit, too. The Badlands are so special and weird and it’s nice to see it again.

Mario,

The layering of colors from bottom to top mimics the sedimentary layers in the background cliffs. Further, the color contrast between the greens and reds is wonderful. But aside from all that, what I think really makes this photo is the bird. It gives such an amazing feeling of desolation. Oh the lighting helped a lot as well :wink:

Mario,
Looks like you had favorable conditions for your image; some rain in the Badlands to really bring out the colors in the landscape. I love the texture , colors and the bird in the image. A couple of suggestions to enhance the image. If possible, reduce the highlights in the upper left corner. Also, I think the image could use a focus point to draw the eye through the image, perhaps, a little dodging or a radial filter to bring out the central peak more. My thoughts. Again conrats of this image.

You certainly have captured a compelling image between the colors, shapes, and lines. The bird is a nice point of interest. I agree with @gDan52 about trying something with ULC.

Awesome image! Great feeling of depth between the FG and BG. The contrast of colours between green and warm pink and warm pink to sand color is very pleasing to look at. The textures are wonderful. The little path in the FG (or dried-up) stream is very well-positioned, opening up the image on either side and then into the distance. I also really like that you’ve included the richly ochre-colored piece of a very close hill in the LRC, further enhancing the depth perception. Finally the bird in the sky adds even more depth to an already super deep image!

Very nice work!

This is a pretty image, I love the way the warm light shows off the red and orange in the rocks, especially with the green grass in front. Nice capture!

The composition in this image is right on. The layers build up from bottom to top like a crescendo. I would cool the white balance somewhat so that the sky looks blue. Then I would work on the warm colors separately in HSL.