Badlands

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

THe lighting and again the texture and color of the mound attracted me at this site

Technical Details

14mm f 14 1/20 iso 100

3 Likes

Mario, badlands – what a misnomer! This land is not bad; it nature at its best. I like your foreground detail. The foreground provides nice visual flow to the landscape in the background. Nice image. My rendition uses the Photoshop TK8 panel. I put in a" soft pop" layer at about 50% opacity and slightly darkened the sky. I think this adds more pop to the image. You’ve done an excellent job of seeing here.

Thank yopu Larry @Larry_Greenbaum for your comments and edit. I do not know how to use the TK panel in PS but thought increasing contrast would add some “Pop”. Also increased blue in sky.

1 Like

Lovely, and even better with the contrast increase! Gorgeous colors not overdone. I love the rose hues and texture in the FG.

1 Like

Yes, the contrast boost looks great. I agree with @Diane_Miller 's comment below. In case you become interested in the TK8 plugin for Photoshop, you can access it by going to Tony Kuyper’s website (TK for Tony Kuyper) goodlight.us I find that Tony Kuyper has made Photoshop much easier to use with his plugin.

Beautiful image, and an excellent composition with a 14mm lens.

Agree with @Diane_Miller the rose hues and textures in the FG. Looks great.

Really like @Larry_Greenbaum’s soft pop. It keeps the eye on the really interesting FG whilst making it more vivid, and the darkening of the sky takes care of halos on the edge of the mountain in the URC. Only disadvantage is that the clouds are a bit too dull, bordering on the unconvincing.

In your last edit, the eye is drawn straight away to the distant peak in the middle of the image and into the sky. It’s quite a different image and a matter of what element you wish to emphasize, and what pleases you the best at the end of the day.