Baltimore Oriole, Female

Though I generally have many, many Orioles at my feeders when they arrive in mid-April, this is the first time I have ever had migrants heading back south. I have at least a half-dozen females and juveniles, and a couple of males. This female is sitting in a Chalk Maple just off my deck, waiting for me to leave so she can come to the feeder.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 240mm, f/6.7, 1/4000 secc., ISO 1250, Ev -0.5, Hand Held. Processed in Canon DPP and PSE 2020 for exposure and color. Shake reduction applied to the bird.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

She does seem to be asking you to move on. I wonder if a vertical crop keeping enough of the foliage would concentrate more attention on the nice pose of the Oriole. You caught her on a nice limb out in the open.

1 Like

Thanks, David. I considered a vertical crop when I processed the photo, but then didn’t try it. I don’t know why not. I’ll give it a look.

A vertical crop could be good, and maybe some partial opacity cloning over the bright BG spots. The BG is detailed enough to compete with the bird a little. But overall a very nice catch.

1 Like

Thanks, Diane! I appreciate your suggestions.