Female Bullock's Oriole

I have pals that have a nesting pair of bullock’s orioles at their place and invited me to come over and shoot them. This is a capture I like of the female.

Specific Feedback Requested

Cropping?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 800, monopod, AI Clear, cropped to 4153 x 3214.

3 Likes

I certainly see why you cropped it this way, but I think it might also work well cropped in from the right and top. Nice job.

Dave, nice head turn and great eye contact from this one. I like the f8, keeping the branch and leaves in good crisp focus , I might consider taking a little gloss off of them with a lowering of some contrast. On the cropping I might loose the higher oof branch and from the right side maybe crop to a bit before that nice vertical blossom twig.

Nice one, pleasant light and the bird pops out nicely. Dennis’ suggestion about the cropping option may work well indeed. Cheers, Hans

Hi Dave
The Oriole has nice coloring and upper body detail. Love the eye contact. As for cropping you could try a 16 by 9 and let the lower branch bring your eye up to the Oriole.
Peter