Incoming Bullock's

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love seeing, and shooting birds with lots of orange so I was excited to be invited to a friend’s place that recently has been seeing a male bullock’s oriole. I got this early morning light action shot of him using my newly discovered “pre-capture” ability on my Z9.

Specific Feedback

Cropping? I decided to leave lower left branch alone. It seemed to balance out the lower frame area some.

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/3200th, f 9.0, 705mm, ISO 2500, cropped to 1452 x 1009

Well, the pre-capture got the shot, but the AF didn’t seem to keep up with the bird-always difficult when they’re coming at you, Dave. The pose of the bird is great. I do think I’d remove that stick on the bottom as the brightness of it pulls my eye.

This is a cool take off shot Dave. It is very bright and I wonder if you could take the whites down in RAW, or if you only get a jpeg to work with on the pre-flight setting. I love the colors and the tail flaps down to get the bird some lift.

Nice inflight pose Dave even though bird is soft as mentioned above. I don’t think the sticks at the bottom add to the image. I do like the room around the bird composition-wise.