Bullocks

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out photographing in the backyard this morning and just happened to catch 3 bullocks orioles (one adult female/2 kids?) that came in to a grape jelly feeder and one of them snagged a meat bee that got some interest. Cool little drama.

Specific Feedback

I am curious to know if my cropping was about right for the unusual vertical subject matter?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/3200th, f 9.0, 600mm, ISO 18000, cropped to 2819 x 3405.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

The cropping works fine, Dave, and the action is cool, though I wish the background bird had cooperated a bit better. To my eye, it looks like you could pull the highlights down quite a bit as the side of the beggar and the top of the perch look like they’ve lost detail.

Crop looks fine, and I agree with all of Dennis’s comments.
Nice catch!

Hi Dave
Nice interaction and the framing works. It’s nice to be able to take photograph with 50% crop & 18,000 ISO, five years ago, this would not happen.
Peter

Crop works well. Maybe decrease the highlights in the top bird. Great look at the trio.

Hi Dave,
Really nice behavioral catch and seeing the bug in the lower bird’s mouth is quite nice. Agree with Dennis on taming the highlights on the top bird. Seems like ISO 18,000 is overkill in this bright light. Love the interaction seen here.

I always appreciate the critiques on here. I see what you guys mean about the WHITE on the top bird. It really was very white. I try not darken any whites to the point of getting grayish. I use the histogram in LR to get the whites in range with the “highlights” and “whites” sliders. Oh, and I have the camera set on Auto-ISO. That IS a high number. The high megapixels in my Z9 allows photo files to be massaged more than my D500. What a value this site is for learning, and improving my chops. Thanks!