Bare Trees on the River

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Walking along the banks of the Salt River, I saw this reflection in the surface of the river. The water was calm in this pool, co the river floor was also easy to see. Another fun day on the river, trying to pick out scenes as they appear.

Specific Feedback

Processing done in LR, cropped to highlight the trees as the subject. Wanted to try to have the river floor have a sky effect, so changed the WB to bring out some blue, blurred some of the river grass to decrease distraction and mimic clouds. Linear gradient in the upper portion to lighten slightly and brush around the bottom and sides for vignette effect.

Comments on results?

Technical Details

Marlin, the tree reflections angling in from the llc work well. The textures in the water add interest. I find the floating material blocking the tree reflection near the top a distraction but recognize that not having it there would be a major challenge.

Mark, Thanks for the review and comments. I tried several ways to remove the grass, that is distracting, from cropping it out to cloning it out and, I think this is the best my skills allow. I did soften it to leave something more cloud-like, but still, clouds below the trees don’t quite work.

The grass was not floating by, so the only other thing might have been to pull it out and remove it from the scene, not something I tend to do? and didn’t even think about it when I took this image.

A very creative eye, and shot. Perfect reflection shots can be so fun. Well done.

Thank you. It was fun trying to bring out the trees as the subjects, when the river bottom was so clear too.