Battleground

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another rediscovery on my drive back from 2006 and is a scene of the aftermath of a fire in the Sierras. Color was not there, in other words, there was no color to really move me. The fallen branches were stark white and that is what prompted a B&W treatment. I never considered this image at the time because at the top, through the trees, was just a blank white sky that pulled my eyes there and did not allow the attention to be on the fallen branches. I used to be a real stickler when it came to cropping as I wanted as much image resolution to work with for printing, But I cropped out the top and it is appealing to me now.

Specific Feedback

Does the image work? Does it evoke any emotion? Does it deserve a home on my drive or is it destined for the round file?

Technical Details

Shen-Hao 4x5, Nikon 150mm f5/6. Fuji Provia 100F. Scanned on Microtek M1 and processed in PS CS6

Interesting image. My first reaction was of rivulets of water flowing over a surface. It’s not the contrast of the branches that make it for me as how they repeatedly divide in a similar manner. Like hair.

I think the white branches on the left are necessary but their brightness should be reduced.

Great contrast !!! Very cool Photo

Youssef,

Love this image. B&W of course is the way to go and all those little branches and that chaotic structure really stand out. All the rest of the scene - left and top are also quite chaotic, but as a whole image and scene, this just works beautifully.

I have to say that this image reminds me of that weathered and battened down sage image you captured when were at the Aerie Crag picnic area, June Lake Loop, some years back. I know you know which image I’m thinking of. And to that time and image, I learned to see in a new way, thanks to you!

Thanks for sharing!