Bay Headed Tanager

Many Central American species are quite colorful. This Bay Headed Tanager is no exception. Getting good shots in good light is however, very difficult. This image (around 60% of full frame) is shot at iso 6400.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? How do you feel about the BG?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 6400, 500 mm PF, f8, D500, handheld, fill flash at -2.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Sweet image of this amazingly colorful species, David. It just pops in green background. The tanager is very sharp and I think I can see your reflection in its eye. For some reason, the background appears a little flat, but that might just be its contrast with the tanager.

Only when you have actually worked in this type of environment that you realize that we are lucky to have some good opportunities for shots with clean background here in North America. I learned this the hard way while shooting back home in Indonesia. This image is gorgeous, David. I think the bird stands out really well from the background I do think that we can have less at the bottom and more at the top though. It feels a little tight on top and too roomy at the bottom. I would crop to eliminate the bottom side up fern just below the bird’s tail.

A gorgeous bird, David, and superb detail with no significant noise. Your noise processing is superb. The fill flash helped a lot without being overpowering. Well done.

Great colors and details here, David. Looks as if your flash work came out just right. As for the background, I like the leaves to the right of the bird, but for some reason not so much the stuff to the left. I could see a slight crop on the left. I know that brings the tail close to the edge, but personally I’d be okay with that as the rest of the bird dominates color-wise.