Bay Headed Tanager

Costa Rica has a larger variety of species in any place I have ever been. It is an avian photographers candy store. Many of the species found in the jungle which is quite dark. There are trade-offs to using flash specifically frightening the birds versus reasonable light. Many of the shots I was able to get were at high iso. This species reminds me of the Painted Bunting.

By the way, I am unable to find any Central America tag which is why I used South America for the region. Perhaps we could have this added to the tag list in both avian and human and fauna critiques gallery. Thanks

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Any pertinent technical details:

Iso 6400, 500 mm at 5.6 PF at F7 .1, 2500th, handheld, no flash, 60% full frame, D 500.
DxO Photo Lab, Adobe Camera Raw, Topaz AI Clear, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 1%.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Such a beautiful bird. You did really well with this and I can’t find anything to nit pick about. You also did a good job with the high ISO.

Superb detail, David, and no perceptible noise in this one, even at that high iso. A fine image. I’ll look into the tag-that sounds like an oversight.

Beautiful bird. Yeah, the canopy is a problem. At least we have cameras and software now to deal with high ISO’s.
Congrats on a fine EP !
Sandy

Excellent detail, exposure and background David-sweet image. Congrats on the EP.