Blue Gray Tanager

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 1600, 300mm, f5.6, D500, handheld, no flash

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David, this gorgeous. I’m commenting much at all right now because I was in a car accident and broke a couple of bones in my right hand. Typing is difficult, but I had to let you know this is excellent IMO. :+1::+1:

The BG and bird go very well together. Soft lighting brings out the blues. One of my favorites of your work. Well done…Jim

Excellent detail. Like the pose with the slight head turn and nice catch light. The background works well, complementing the tanager.

Lovely detail and a great perch, David. I seem to be seeing just a very slight sharpening fringe under the breast in the larger image. To my eye, the pose feels a little awkward and I wonder if a little rotation one way or the other would make it feel more natural.

A beautiful blue bird that looks especially nice with the complimentary blue sky background! The detail is surprisingly sharp, especially considering the 1600 ISO. Great shot, David!

Yes, I saw the slight halo on the breast.