Blue Gray Tanager

A Blue Grey Tanager in the cloud forests of Costa Rica.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Minimal sharpening used in processing, in fact I tried to blur the sharpness using noise removal. The plumage still looks pretty sharp but better than it did prior to the application of the noise removal.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Iso-800, 100-400 at 400 mm, 7.1, 250th, fill flash at -3, handheld, A7R3, 50% of full frame, Overcast and dark
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

An excellent composition, David, and I like the over-the-shoulder head turn. I see what you mean about the plumage. The feather structure really comes out in this bird for some reason, but it doesn’t look like it’s very noisy.

Hi David,
I like the diagonal moss covered perch and the backwards glance of the bird. Nice job catching this pose. Nice background. The plumage of the bird looks noisy to me.

I really like the pose and the perch. Good composition. The birds feathers do appear a bit crunchy.