Beach Day in November

I love going out to the Oregon coast in the winter time. The rain and wind don’t scare me! This weekend gave us some great swells and I made it out to document them. The power of the ocean is apparent and it gives you a respect for what it is capable of! These are the days that explain why the Oregon coastline is as jagged as it is.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am curious if I have handled the contrast well enough as the whole day was overcast without much of a hint of sunshine coming through ever. So, like a typical day, I had to work with the conditions given which result in a rather flat RAW file.

Technical Details

I like the energy in this image, and you are right that it definitely conveys the power of the ocean and tells more of the story of the Oregon coast. I actually just returned from my first visit to the Oregon coast and I had a great time trying to shoot the waves as they broke over the various rock formations. I’m not sure that I came away with much other than a great respect for the power of the ocean.

I think you handled the contrast very well. There is a full range of tones and the contrasting color works well. Nicely done!

1 Like

No joke! The coast is unforgiving and ever changing which makes it as challenging as photographing the forests. A different kind of challenge, but the keeper rate feels about the same if not a bit worse. Benefit is you don’t necessarily have to hike 5 miles to get a range of different images! For example the image attached is from the same spot and day:

I think you captured the action, drama, and awesomeness of the Pacific Ocean here, Kyle. Well done. Shooting the ocean like this is always fun. Glad you were able to get out there.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Thank you David!

This is a very powerful and dramatic image Kyle. I think the contrast looks good. I think if the sun was out, this would have had a very different look to it.

1 Like