Bear Creek 3

I wanted to capture the layers and the silver quality/texture of the stream. I purposely did not use a CPL. I just don’t always like following the rules :)…

Specific Feedback Requested

Composition and processing. Does the stream presentation work?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony Alpha 7 III, 70mm, f/13, 1/200 sec, iso 2500

Hi Mario, I quite like the overall composition. You have a nice circular flow through the image with the upward curving flowers and grasses mirrored by the downward curving creek.

There are a couple things about the processing that detract from the image as presented, IMO. In the lower part of the image, the flowers have a strong light halo effect that bleeds into the grasses, perhaps from dodging too wide a tonal range? In the upper left part of the far shore and the creek, the highlights have been burned down too much so they just appear gray and muddy. These things together make me look at the flowers and almost forget about the creek, which I feel could carry equal weight, given the nice circular flow to the composition.

Thank you @Craig_Moreau . I do see the areas you are talking about. I have a rework here and agree these areas needed to be addressed.

1 Like

Mario, I agree with @Craig_Moreau comments, and I think the rework helps address his concerns, the flowers especially look much better in the rework. I like your use of increased DOF to get everything sharp here in the foreground, when you have an image with layers like this, it really needs to be sharp front to back. You were very fortunate to find such a nice patch of flowers near the creek, they were just made to be the perfect foreground. They enhance the image a lot.

HI Mario. What a lovely scene. I think the rework brings everything out beautifully. To me the composition brings a lot of depth into the image and I really like the faster shutter speed on the water. So many times we see milkier water (which I also love) so it is refreshing to see something different. I really like this image

The rework looks very nice Mario.

Very good of you to see and convey this composition. I wondered what would happen if the shine were removed from the rocks on the far side. Burn highlights worked for me, and that lets the river water be a bit more framed by dark rocks.