Bear Creek

Description: A revisit to Bear Creek in northeast PA.

Specific Feedback Requested: Comp and processing

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 33 mm f/22 0.6 sec iso 80

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This is a nice image. What’s interesting about your work is that sometimes you put on your artistic hat and sometimes you don’t. I’m the same way. There’s little to improve except to do the border patrol thing and pick off bright oversights. I don’t know how I feel about the rocky platform. Do I like it’s great texture or does it seem untidy? One idea would be to darken that fg bank on the right and separate it from the ledge in tonality? Might make it worse though.

Here is a rework of that suggestion. I do like the greater seperation.

Mario, I think the composition works fine, I don’t see any alternate crops that are an improvement.

In your rework, you brightened the image a lot, but I prefer the look of the original image, to me it looks more natural. If anything, I would start with the original image and darken the river. I think by doing that it would make the trees in the background appear brighter, by simply darkening the adjacent river. To me the brightness of the ledge and the background trees at the end of the river are the most appealing things here, and they should be the brightest parts of the image.

I prefer the original post as everything looks a bit bright in the repost, Mario. I am enjoying the textures in both the FG rock along with those in the water and the diagonal placement of the creek is perfect. My only suggestion for the original would be to lighten the shadows just a touch as they look a little dark. This looks like a wonderful place to visit. If you don’t mind my asking, where is Bear Creek in PA?

Ed, thanks for comments. Location is northeast PA near Wilkes Barre. It is a beautiful spot with multiple cascades. Interestingly I went there 2 times and the 3rd time it was all posted. Bummer…
It is the outlet creek/stream for Lake Aleeda which I live on…about 10 miles down stream.

Rework #2. I have taken into account everyone comments and this is result which I like very much. Also took exposure down

a bit on entire image.

Thank you all @Ed_McGuirk @Ed_Lowe @Igor_Doncov for comments and suggestions.

A beautiful shot, Mario. I prefer your original over your 1st rework; can’t see your 2nd rework because of an issue with the website, but I will try again later. Your composition looks very nice except for one tiny nit - I wish that small green plant at the middle bottom was fully included and not cut off. Not a deal killer, but noticeable. I think the slanted tree on the right balances the flowing water very nicely, plus I love the little lichens/growths on the tree too. Very nicely shot and presented.

Thank for the input and kind comments. Ill try and remove that. I know you like these type scenes . I will be posting a smaller one and look forward to your comments.