Bearded Capuchin

I have been off NPN for a few months, first traveling and then for shoulder replacement surgery. I am now sufficiently recovered to resume processing my images. I took this image in Brazil’s Piauí State in July. This species was the first non-ape primate to be documented using tools. This guy picked up this heavy rock and smashed a chosen nut to get to its scrumptious contents. But he kept a wary eye on me. The lighting conditions were awful on the side of a forested hill early in the morning. I used Topaz DeNoise on the background but not the subject.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sonly a9, Sony 100-400mm at 200mm, manual exposure, f/5.6 at 1/250th, ISO 4000.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

First of all, I would like to say, I am sorry that you had to under go surgery, but glad to hear that you are recovering. A very nice look at this guy, Charles. Amazing that he is using that huge rock to crack nuts. He sure is watching you though. Maybe he is thinking that camera might work well at nut cracking! :grinning: I think you handled the lighting well, and for ISO 4000, I sure don’t see any noise, so you did well in post processing too.

Great pose, Charles. The raised head and eye contact are what make it for me. I do wish the foot hadn’t been clipped.

Hi Charles !
Good to know that you are doing well after the surgery, hope you are fine soon !
I just love the action here and the look he gave you, like his hair cut too ! :grinning:
Like Dennis, I too wish his foot wasn’t clipped.