On the Hunt

On the return from one of our canoe adventures last January we happened upon a couple of immature Wattled Jacanas that were foraging around some aquatic vegetation.

An oof leaf from behind the bird was removed in post.

Sani Lodge, Ecuadorian Amazon

What technical feedback would you like if any? All feedback appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500
500mm f/4
1/1000s @ f/6.3
ISO 1000
HH
LR/PS Topaz AI Clear

HH

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Wonderful Charles! The soft light works especially well here. I’d be tempted to remove the little bits of lighter color on either side of the beak and perhaps past its tip for a little more clarity, but it’s hard to find any other constructive criticism. I’ve never seen this bird, but thanks to your great image, I feel as though I could name one if I saw it. That’s a pretty fair test of image quality!

Very good, Charles. I like the pose and this is different from most of the Jacana images that one sees with their enormous feet highlighted.

1 Like

Pretty neat catch, Chuck. It’s so nice to shoot from a canoe (miss those days), because you’re assured of a pleasing low perspective. This is different without the distinctive huge feet, but at least you got an excellent pose in cheerful light, and I love all the little spiders.

Beautiful capture Chuck! Excellent light and detail. The comp with the near perfect reflection is excellent also. Well done!

Exceptional color, light, detail, pose, reflection and environment. I really appreciate its intent stare at possible food source. This is certainly different than the Jacana we saw in Costa Rica.

Love the reflection and habitat. Nice hunting pose. Well done.

Very cool reflection shot Chuck, love the symmetry of both bird and the large leaf to the right.