Backlit Jacana

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On my first trip to Costa Rica I wasn’t very pleased with the shots of this species that I managed to get, so I was very pleased to see quite a few of them along the rivers and inlets in Cano Negro. This one posed was showing off it’s wings and I loved the light shining through them.

Specific Feedback

Anything that I could do to improve this image would be welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod from boat, f/9 1/2000, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. I raised the shadows on the bird quite a bit. Cropped to 6780x4746. Taken February 22nd at 9:04 a.m.

You really have to view this one large to see the details and they are superb. The light shining through the yellow portion of the wings is what really makes this stand out. I also love the slight head turn and the wings up position. I find the plant in the LRC a tiny bit distracting but this also shows an environmental shot and as such, this is pretty dang good. Glad you were able to get this one on your recent trip.

Hi Dennis, I really love the light shining through the wings as you stated. Fine details in the dark sections of the bird too. The stump in lower right doesn’t add much to my eye but not sure how simple it would be to remove. Either way a fine image. Well done.

Congratulations on getting a photo you like - what a spectacular bird! The pose and focus are so fantastic. The stump doesn’t bother me since the bird itself is so interesting and colorful - they have enormous feet, even for this kind of wader. One thing you might try is a small radial filter or brush to bring up the exposure very slightly on the face and eye area. In the thumbnail I couldn’t tell the bird really is facing us. Those wings really are something! Fantastic work.

Beautiful backlighting on the wings. I agree with Kris’s suggestion about the face and neck. Maybe try Nik Viveza for a quick alteration. The orange spike under the wing is interesting. Any idea what it’s for, Dennis?

Excellent, Dennis. I keep trying to land this pose, but am always a tick too late. Love the detail in the wings.