Hello there!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was digging out something for the Parallel lines weekly challenge and realized that I still had a ton of Costa Rica images that haven’t been processed. This one happened to catch my eye. The bird is a Black-cowled Oriole.

Specific Feedback

I deliberately kept this bird quite small in the frame, because to me the image is as much about the setting as the bird-does that work?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/400, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in DxO PureRaw4 for noise reduction, then to PS for a bit of cleanup, cropping and a boost to detail in the bird, and back to LR for export. Cropped to 5940x4260. Taken February 19th.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Wow Dennis, you are getting artsy on us here and I really like it. Clever composition with the bird nicely placed in the frame and even peering into the rest of the image. I like the reed blades as a key element of the composition. Nicely done.

1 Like

This is great. I love the diagonal lines being countered with the BG lines.
Bird is the perfect counterpoint. Beautiful Green.

1 Like

Very nice, Dennis. Very artsy, for sure. I too like the lines both in the BG and the diagonal. Leaving the bird small works well. It’s his environment and he looks nicely in it. The water drops on his back is a nice bonus.

Love the little fellow peeking out between the fronds!
The subtle raindrops in the BG and on the bird add a lot of interest.
Sweet!