The Shadow Knows

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I got more conventional images of a Boat-billed Heron later the same morning, but I loved the “cloaked” look of this one.

Specific Feedback

I would have preferred that the fork in the large branch not be there, but I didn’t think it made sense trying to get rid of it. I did remove some brighter twigs that intersected the head. Let me know if I left any tell-tale signs.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 566 mm, Monopod from boat, f/9, 1/160, iso 3200, manual exposure. Pre-processed in DxO PureRaw 4, processing in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4040x5088 from a horizontal original. Taken February 22nd at 7:54 a.m.

Dennis, the soft color palette is really nice in this. The detailed feathers are amazing, and you got a great look from the heron. The title fits!

Really like this unique pose and the color and detail are great.

HI Dennis, interesting pose you captured and the bird’s color contrasts well with the green leaves. Just barely being able to see the eye is an nice touch.

I have never seen a pose like this before. Very unique. Looks like you had some soft light to work with. I don’t see any tell tale sign of branch removal and nothing else pulls my eye so I think this is good as is. Very cool looking bird.