Waiting Out The Rain

Taken back in July at Green Lake Provincial Park

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Too much habitat?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, 500mm, f/4, 1/1250, ISO 800. Cropped, a few sticks removed and leaves have been toned down.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A lovely image with great environment. You asked about too much habitat. Definitely not for me. This shows where this bird lives, gives great context and the branch it is on is great.
I would look at cloning out the branch closest to the bird as it intrudes a bit. Should be easy.

Nice image.

Very nice focus on the subject and the BG is lovely without competing. I’m undecided about the in-focus leaves on the left – they are very pretty but because of that my eye jumps between them and the bird. Cropping them out would still leave a nice composition. Or it might be possible to soften them a little . I think I would remove the branch closest to the bird. I think the other three there act as stoppers to keep the eye int he frame. The two coming in from the bottom might also be pruned, although I can get carried away with edge cleanup.

Thanks @Keith_Bauer and @Diane_Miller. Your comments are really appreciated. It is funny how that one little twig over the bird bugged me as well and so did the darn leaves. I will try a few things later on and may try to clean up the bottom edge a bit as well.

I like the habitat/setting; it’s what first drew me into the photo. Really nice background color. Probably easy to do some pruning on the branch; harder with the leaves. I find this an appealing photo.

Lovely capture. The comments above are very instructive for me. I don’t often think of ways to clone out twigs, and leaves until others point out that as an option. Now that it’s been said I see the in focus leaves as being a bit attention grabbing, and possibility the vertical twig to the low right, but I love the scene even as is with the little bird naturally framed.

Lovely bird and capture, and for sure not too much habitat for me. The little branch above the bird does not disturb me, but the dark OOF branch in the upper right corner is a little distracting. Other than that, absolutely fine as presented! Cheers, Hans

Thanks Hans. It is always nice to get a critique and little things that others see and comment on.