Hermit Thrush

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This was one of the few times I got to see this elusive Hermit Thrush that it was not on the ground and taking a quick drink from a backyard water bowl. Yay! I’m a little bummed about that small branch in the foreground but I don’t have the confidence to make it go away and create a fake left foot so I decided to live with it. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, tripod/gimbal head, 1/250th, f 7.1, 500mm, ISO 400, AI Clear, cropped to 3267 x 3508

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Oh great. I don’t get to see these little fellows often. I really like the nice look back pose and well done on the exposure. Those small white areas are easy to blow out. I might suggest a small crop off the bottom to remove the bit of bg showing under the big branch but that may leave the bird a bit cramped. As for the little offending branch sometimes you just take what you can get. I certainly could not remove it either.

Nice catch of the Hermit, Dave. I’ve never had a shot at one of these and only seen one or two in glimpses. Too bad that stupid branch had to cover the foot, otherwise it would be a breeze to fix. I like David’s idea of taking a touch off the bottom and I could see a little more room on the left if it doesn’t reveal something even uglier than the oof branch. Nice job.

Lovely detail in the thrush. Nice pose. The twig is unfortunate.

I see this is cropped, but don’t know how much and from which sides. I find the presented version a bit tight on the sides and with more area above and below than fits the subject - I’d like to see this as a landscape image if that is possible from the original frame.