Hermit Thrush

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A shot from this past February. A hermit thrush that I saw at a local wetlands that landed close to the boardwalk.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2500, f9, 1/320s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

3 Likes

Ok, another reason for me to turn a lovely shade a la the Wicked Witch of the West. I really need to work on my songbirds. I love these guys, we have them around, but so hard to photograph. This is wonderful. I love the pose and the way the wings are being held. That tail! Those fluffy coverts. That background! The perch!

Swoons.

Excellent detail. It’s nice to get this thrush out in the open like this; I usually find them skulking in the brush resulting in a high ISO. I like the perch and the complementary background. I’d be tempted to remove the vertical branch/stick.

Excellent, Allen. Great job getting the foreground portion of the perch in crisp focus-it makes all the difference. As stated, the pose is lovely as well.

Now that’s a very unique and interesting perch! Awesome detail and body position with the head and eye tack sharp. The background is pleasingly blurred out. Excellent that captured him in the open. Excellent image all around.

Really like the subject, the pose, perch and even light! My only question is did you perhaps run this through some NR software? The feathers look a tad smoothed out, especially on the rear of the bird.

Hi Kurt, yes DXO Pure Raw 3 is a noise reduction program that attempts to reduce noise while maintaining detail. I find it is needed at ISO 2500 on the R7.