Hermit Thrush

Image Description

Not a bird I often see and when I do it is skulking in the underbrush, so it was nice to get one out in the open.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

It would have been nice not to have the branch running across the body, but otherwise I was happy to get this image. I do like the background and the perch is okay, though should I remove the lower branch?

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/800 at f7.1, -1 1/3EV (not sure why this setting); ISO 1600.

Some birds are like that, Allen. When we get an open look at them we need to be on the ready to shoot. I like his position with the angle of his perch. I also like how the BG compliments him nicely. I don’t have any suggestions for improvement.

1 Like

Nice look at this Thrush. It’s only been in the last couple of years I’ve seen a number of Thrushes around here. Hope I see some again this year. As for this one, I like the good details in the bird, and the branch across him is not a show stopper for me. Removing the lower branch might give the image a bit more pop, but might also be difficult unless your skills are much better than mine (which they probably are). But, I like the photo as presented.

1 Like

If you get a view of this species, you HAVE to take the picture, Allen. I’ve never even gotten a glimpse of one. I do think removing that lower twig would help-the only difficult part will be the toe. To my eye the plumage seems just a tiny bit soft, like the focus grabbed a branch at the last second, though that nice big eye should have held it. That said, I’d definitely consider this a keeper.

Hi Allen, getting a shot of one of these birds even somewhat out in the open is an accomplishment so nice work. Nice background as you stated and since the head is free from branches I’d say this is a keeper of this species for sure. I think removing the lower branch would improve the image. I see what Dennis is saying as the bird is just a tad soft. Still a nice catch of an elusive subject.

1 Like

Lovely with wonderful light!! I think the softness might be due to NR. I don’t know what you did but wonder if you have tried different methods or settings.

1 Like

Thanks for commenting, @Diane_Miller . I’m sure I ran NR. Not sure of the settings, but used “low light”, which I learned from you, and that generally seems to work well. I suspect the softness is due to a large crop to only about 5% of the original frame. I was quite a ways from the bird and originally took the shot mainly to help me ID the bird, but was excited with what I found.

That should be a good setting. Isn’t it fantastic to be able to do a 5% crop?!!! Just being that far from a subject can give softening from moisture and thermal mixing in the air.

I’m still in awe of what the R5 can do.