Just a Hermit Thursh

I went up in the mountains east of town today to a spot with a lot of bird activity. I was pleased to find a nice angle to get a pleasing background when the birds landed on this perch.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I wish the perch was a little prettier… At least it was a small diameter perch.

Any pertinent technical details:

Olympus EM-1 Mark II, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC, 1/2000, f/5.6, ISO 640, Full Frame, handheld.

Hermit Thrushes are hardly a “just”, Keith. At least around here, they are very shy, but then, they’re mostly winter birds here. Excellent detail and exposure. I find the perch pleasing. It has nice aging and texture and it’s the kind of thing that most birds prefer.

Nice to catch this guy out in the open. I usually find them skulking in the underbrush. Excellent detail. The perch works for me. Nice OOF background.

Hi Keith,

The hermit thrush is a worthy adversary for photography. The image looks pretty good, although I wish the tail did not merge into the BG…Jim

Keith, I see what you mean about the perch, but it’s not a deal breaker for me. You certainly nailed the sharpness and the comp for this. It may be just me, but from a presentation standpoint the BG, however natural it may be, feels a little busy, although in different light I think it could work quite well.

Keith: I like the pose and excellent detail seen in the bird as well as the oof background. The diagonal the perch forms is nice. Perhaps some burning of the perch would serve to make it a bit less noticeable as the brightness of it competes with the bird to a degree. Richard