Varied Thrush

Varied Thrush’s don’t seem to be particularly common, so I always enjoy seeing one and I find them rather attractive.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any. Too bad about the branch across the thrush; hopefully the nut in the mouth makes up for it. Did clone out a branch coming out of its head.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm. 1/500 at f6.3; ISO 2000.

Allen, he sure is a beautiful bird. I have never seen one like it before. Yes, the nut made up for the limbs, in my opinion. I wish the background wasn’t so white, I am guessing it was cloudy. Still an nice head turn, and with the nut in his beak, it makes it a keeper.

1 Like

Nice look at this varied thrush. I have never seen one of these in Washington state. Nice capture. Good look at the environment. It’s a pretty nutty image. There are two fuzzy spots to the left and above the nut that would be real easy to remove.

1 Like

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman and @David_Schoen for your comments. Yes it was a very cloudy day, probably foggy and wish too for a better background. Well, nuts, can’t believe I missed those spots. Thanks for pointing it out, David, and I’ll fix it for any future use of the image.

Nice shot of the Varied Thrush, Allen. I hear them all winter around here, but rarely see them-they’re underbrush skulkers. I used to have a feeding station at the back of our property next to a wooded/brushy area and they would occasionally come to it. With my current setup, I only see them when it snows-then they’re enticed in to the feeder setup. I really like the pose and the nut. In the largest version, the thrush isn’t showing much feather detail. My experience with the 150-600 is that I have to stop it down at least one notch to get really good image quality at 600 mm. I’m guessing that’s what happened here, since the focus looks best on the bird where you wanted it.

The nut is a very cool bonus. I never would have guessed that they’d be interested in one.

1 Like

Hi Allen,

A nice shot, and those darned branches. Although the composition has some drawbacks, the behaviors captured in this shot are well worth the effort. My eye is drawn towards the head of the thrush so the effect of the branches is minimized. They are secretive and they rarely present themselves out in the open. Well done…Jim

1 Like