Varied Thrush

What technical feedback would you like if any?

There was a really ugly area in the upper right corner that I tried to subdue. I’m not sure if I was successful-please comment.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any issues with the composition or background?

Any pertinent technical details:

This is an old one from this past February. I only get these to come in to my feeder area when we have snow, which is fairly uncommon here.

7Dii, Sigma 150-600 C @ 361 mm, Tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/400, iso 2500, aperture priority, pattern metering, -2/3 EV. Cropped from a horizontal original with just a tad off the top. Taken at 8:45 am on February 24th, 2018.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

That is one sharp Thrush…out of the bushes too, which is rare…
My only nit is I think a more wide open aperture would have make the bird pop even more.

Great color and detail; nice head turn. A real nice look at a varied thrush. I played around with this in PS: selected the BG above the thrush’s head, took the clarity to -100, darkened it a bit and removed the white spots in the left upper corner. I think it helps, but regardless, I think this is a fine image of a varied thrush as is.

Wonderful detail of this beautiful bird, Dennis. I love the rock and his surroundings.

This looks better is a large image primarily because I think the contrast is a little better. Excellent detail and pose. The color contrast between the orange and black is great. I see that Allen messed around with this and I would sure like to see what did based on his description.

Hi Allen. Would you mind posting your version? It sounds like an interesting variation and something I could learn from.

Thanks,

Hi Dennis,

This is one of my Holy Grail birds to photograph. I think you nailed this one with a very sharp eye and with excellent color in the comp. Well done…Jim

Dennis, here’s what I came up with. Isolated the background and took it into PS camera raw, decreased the clarity to -100, darkened it a bit with very slight decrease in highlight and black sliders, then used the content aware brush to remove the white spots in the left upper corner, which seemed to draw my eye, and the red flower in the right area.

Sweet pose fro this fellow. This is one bird, and it’s call, that I really miss from my old wooded home in Sandy, OR. A sure sign of fall.
Sandy