Beautiful Junk

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There’s likely a tragedy behind this story but all I see is beauty. I wonder how much the tragedy plays in this. I shot this yesterday and probably should not post it this soon but I’m so excited about it that I don’t want to wait. I saw it as I drove by and was immediately attracted. I like this on many levels. If there is a place where junk is attractive it’s in a desolate place. I was attracted by the colors, shapes, and textures.

Specific Feedback

I went fairly high tone on this. Was that right?
I reduced the contrast a bit. Do you agree?
There is something about the yellows and oranges that doesn’t seem quite right still. Perhaps they’re still too saturated in the areas beyond the vehicle?

Technical Details

GFX 50R, 45-100mm, f/11, iso 250

4 Likes

I would have stopped, also. Really interesting scene. Yes, it does make you wonder what the story is behind it…how did it get there? The colors and textures of the wreck blend well with the environment. It’s almost like an art installation. I think the low contrast works well here

I like how the colors of the car blend with the landscape and was thinking the same as Chris - it’s almost like a work of wabi sabi art in the desert . Nice capture. I don’t think there’s too much orange or too saturated and I like the high key treatment. Ultimately, it’s your art and you get to decide what you like and don’t like and whether it’s too saturated or not, right?!

If it was a wreck, they must have been going pretty fast - I can see a road barrier post behind the car. Yikes.

I love the tonality, low contrast, and flat light. It fits the scene. The gentle colors and high-ish key are lovely. Their contrast with the subject is interesting. The colors don’t look too saturated at all. I’m thinking maybe they don’t look right because of the slightly pinkish tone to the yellows of the playa in the background; they’re slightly different than the more reddish yellows of the rust on the car.

Igor I love this photo painted with the luminosity, the low contrasts and the neutral original colors which seem really painted. May be a hint of less saturation could improve the pictorial look, only may be. Beautiful.

1 Like

I think everything is perfect with this image. The subject, comp, colors, textures all make for a unique image. It’s amazing how the car has taken on the colors of the surrounding landscape, like a chameleon. Imagine the story of this detritus. I wonder how it got turned upside down and why.

I’m not sure if I’d call this a landscape photograph or not but, ultimately that is neither here nor there. Igor, I love this image particularly the way you’ve handled the colour such that the car and the landscape seem to merge or, maybe it is that the car is in the midst of being reclaimed. It really is a compelling image and even though the colour is very subtle, it is precisely the colour that gives it its power. It is a photograph that tells a great story because it is so open to interpretation. As is typical with your photographs, the composition is spot on.

This is very intriguing Igor. On one hand there is no way the car should be there, but then with the subdued pastel colors it seems as though it belongs. I am really enjoying the low key approach you took with your processing on this scene. Glad you stopped to capture this image. No suggestions from me.

To me, this tells the story of hard, desolate, unfriendly, harsh conditions and in that respect, the car certainly belongs in the scene. The tonal qualities are rendered superbly as are the colors and the low contrast. It’s the low contrast and relative high key nature of this that makes this image stand out.
The car has been stripped of everything except its bones and the same can be said of the desert. It does make me wonder what happened here which adds to the intriguing nature of the image and the mind can likely come up with several stories. I love the title of the image too.

I can see why you were excited Igor; so much aligned here. I don’t think you could ask for a more perfect pastel color palate, and the image has nice flowing diagonals that align just right with the car.

With the dilapidation in such a barren landscape, the image overall speaks to me of desolation.

I really like this image, the subject, the composition, the subtle tonality it all comes together.

1 Like

@Michael_Lowe, @David_Haynes , @Bonnie_Lampley, @Kerry_Gordon, @John_Williams, @Ed_Lowe, @Tomas_Frydrych, @Giuseppe_Guadagno, @Chris_Baird

Thank you for your comments.

@robertakayne I just learned about wabi sabi recently while looking for a Japanese lamp shade. I guess there is more to learn.

Interesting idea. I’ll try it.

Glad you think so. Funny thing is that initially I thought of just making an image of the car. Then decided that the landscape was an important element here. It had to be a wreck in the middle of nowwhere. In the end it became about color.

Oh good. That was the aim.

1 Like