Bedrock Run

This is a small creek near my home that has some interesting bedrock formations. This one has thin layers of rock angling almost vertically that fascinated me looking down on it from the upstream direction. A slight twist in perspective and post-processing in B&W, and voila - my abstract image!

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

My intent was emphasizing the angular pattern of bedrock, reducing the surrounding context, and holding the viewer’s attention long enough to observe the small trickle of flow making its way through the bedrock maze.

Technical Details

Nikon D800e, 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, 48mm, ISO 100, f/16, 1/2 sec

Hi Steve, I’ll admit this one had me thinking for a few seconds as to what the subject was. I think you definitely succeeded with your intent:

My intent was emphasizing the angular pattern of bedrock, reducing the surrounding context, and holding the viewer’s attention long enough to observe the small trickle of flow making its way through the bedrock maze.

I think the black and white edit was a good choice. It helps to reinforce the strong diagonal lines in the image. The thin layers of rock appear like sheets of ice to me. I like the extra element in the small cascade and the water in the upper right.

Thanks, Alfredo, for your comments.

Steve,

This is quite excellent! And mind-bender for sure. In a good way. You have most certainly created a great abstract simply by changing the angle and perspective.

Your processing is excellent too. You didn’t mention any applied vignetting, but natural or added I like the effect here of the fading to the somewhat darker corners, thus keeping the eye focused - and then “trying” to follow the flowing water. This is quite an engaging image.

Well conceived and captured. No nits or suggestions!

Lon

Thanks for the comments, Lon! I did apply some vignetting, good observation, perhaps a tad too much if so noticeable. I’ll try backing off a little or blending more gradually.

Hi Steve, I like this one and B&W was a great choice because it allows you to focus on the perspective, lines and tones. My only wish is that the flowing water was given a little more prominence in the frame.

Good comment, Jim, thanks. Capturing more of the flow off to the right, most of it filtering through crevices, without knocking the perspective off balance and introducing distracting elements was challenging.