Bee Fly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a Bee Fly. Not a bee at all but a fly.

Technical Details

Nikon D500 with 105 Sigma plus 1.4 tc
1/320, f/16 @140 ISO, Manual everything else

2 Likes

Greg,

You really captured some very fine detail in your image and now I know what a bee fly looks like. It’s a shame you could not have captured a more frontal angle, but as someone said to me of an image of mine recently, “bees (bee flys) don’t take directions readily”. Lastly, re composition, while I see you were going for a close up, for me I would like a little more negative space around the bee in the upper left. Thanks for sharing.

What an interesting insect. It looks like a flying pussywillow :slight_smile: The detail in the image is incredible. I would like to see more breathing room at the top above what I think is it’s wing. Maybe a little behind it, also.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments, I did go back to the original and unfortunately there wasn’t much more of the image out there, I gave some thought to crop with ‘content aware fill’ but then opted not to.

It’s all good . :+1:

Looks pretty good for this very fuzzy bee fly. More space all around especially on the RH side will make the comp stronger. Focus and DOF are very nice features of the image. Well done…Jim

Thanks for the comments and critique. Unfortunately this image is almost full frame.

Thanks
Greg

From “Jim Zablotny via Nature Photographers Network” <editor@naturephotographers.network>
To “Gregory Giesing” <greg@thegiesings.com>
Date 8/17/2023 9:24:24 PM
Subject [Nature Photographers Network] [Image Critiques/Macro/Close-up Critiques] Bee Fly

Thank you

Greg

From “Gary Danis via Nature Photographers Network” <editor@naturephotographers.network>
To “Gregory Giesing” <greg@thegiesings.com>
Date 8/17/2023 8:36:03 PM
Subject [Nature Photographers Network] [Image Critiques/Macro/Close-up Critiques] Bee Fly

A flying pussywillow indeed! Floofy to the max. I like the pose, but think the crop could be loosened. Also looks like there was way too much sharpening and clarity applied. Everything looks crispy and odd in the largest view. Cool subject though.

Greg, I have been out of town so I am just getting around to this. These guys aren’t the easiest to photograph. Looks like you did a really great job. I agree with the others about the crop. That also might keep the larger view from looking like it is over sharpened, depending on how much you cropped in. Still a nice shot.