Beginning s of the Universe

A photographer friend commented on this image, saying “It is not abstract enough.” I am not sure there is such a thing, but would appreciate any comments. Also, I played with cropping and would like to know how well the final composition worked.

35mm, 1/80, f16, polarizing filter, iso 400

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Don, this is a great abstract subject, nice seeing on your part. I like your processing on this image, higher contrast, rich blacks, etc., really makes the colors pop here. The warm / cool color contrast of this geyser adds a lot of interest. One minor suggestion for improvement would be to clone away the small twig in the upper right corner.

In terms of this being “not abstract enough”, well perhaps your friend would like to see a tighter view that focuses more on the colors, shapes, and textures of this subject. This would eliminate the grass in the lower left corner, which is a connection to to reality. I have attached another crop, that goes more “abstract”. That is not to say the tighter view is better than your shot as posted, it is just another interpretation of this subject, both have their merits.

I think Ed’s crop works really well. It does look a nebula with hot blue stars forming in the center. The processing looks great. Nicely done.
-P

I took Ed’s advice but instead of cropping out the vegetation, I cloned it out as well as cloning out the twig. My wife liked this version best, and as any photographer knows, you have a successful photograph when your spouse or partner likes it.

Don,

I think this is a terrific natural “abstract.” Sure, one can debate the definition of abstract, but clearly this is to me. Love the variation of colors, patterns and yes, certainly could be seen as a nebula or something galaxian… (word?)

Good call on the cloning vs. cropping. I think the lead-in from the left is too important to the image to crop from the left. good job on the rework.

Only in the large view could I actually pick up the bubbling/boiling water. At least that’s what I’m seeing?

Processing looks good.

Lon

Lon,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, it is boiling water in the Upper Geyser Basin, Yellowstone NP.

Don