Behind the wall

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I had been thinking of this image only this morning, and when I saw this week’s NPN theme I thought: “Right on!” This is just my fun contribution to this week’s theme.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Last autumn, my best friend and I went out in some big swell. I thought it would be a great focusing exercise to try and catch her behind the waves but, above all, it would be a great memory for us both.

Technical Details

Ultra wide

Specific Feedback

This was edited very quickly on the day. I didn’t spend a lot of time considering post-processing choices on this image and view as just a bit of fun, but please feel free to let me know if any technical aspects jump to your eye.

That is a fun image!! And a well-done one. I’ve been missing your amazing waterworld here. Hope you will pop in from time to time – with that or whatever else you are shooting.

I am puzzled. My best guess is there is a ship coming towards you just over a swell.

Hi Diane, thanks for your kind comment :slight_smile: Unfortunately not well enough to be here much.

Thanks for your comment, but I am not sure I understand. This photo has been posted as fitting this week’s theme: “Small in the Frame” Here, my friend is looking at me from behind the “rather large wall of waves”. Her head is tiny in comparison to the surrounding water and yet its impact in the image is significant, which seems to me to fit the brief?

Welcome back with another wonderful water image. As with @Diane_Miller I have also missed your water images. I thought the object might be a buoy but on enlarging discovered it to be a person wearing a mask. I also notice that there may be the top of another one’s head to the left. I like that the foreground waves point us to the person. Nice.

Your picture is perfect for this weeks topic. I apologize for my confusing comment. Because you selected the ‘first impression’ type of review, I wasn’t able to see your description until I gave my first impression. I zoomed into the image and I wasn’t able to determine that it was a person’s head in the water that was why I indicated I was puzzled.

Hi Alexander, thank you for clarifying. Indeed, ‘first impression’ critique may not have been the best choice here.

1 Like

Many thanks for your kind comment, and thanks for pointing out how the lines converge towards the person in the FG (a stroke of luck!) - and the bumps to the left are just the waves. There definitely was no one else in the water at that time.

I always enjoy your sea shots, Laura. I can’t figure out what that object is - on first glance I thought a seal, then on viewing larger my guess was someone’s diving equipment just breaking the surface. Can’t wait to reveal the truth above!

Hi Mike, many thanks for your comment. It is true that it is difficult to see what the object in this low res file. This is not something I had thought of before and it leads me to think that the object is actually too small for the image to make sense to anyone who is not in the know. If I were to print it, I’d probably remove it altogether, as I don’t think that it would be sufficiently visible on a print either.

The object in question is my best friend, peeking just above the waves line in a big swell.

So as much as I like the image, I suppose it’s just one for keepsakes - which is nice enough :slight_smile: It was one of those days when, getting back to shore, you felt lucky that nothing bad happened to you. The sea was really big and worst of all, there were some sounds of jet skis in the distance, impossible to tell where behind the big waves and we knew for certain that they could not see us either (despite being signalled), the more certainly so as it was reasonable NOT to expect any swimmers on a day like this. A fun, adrenaline-filled day but not one to be attempted too frequently!

Laura, I think that my not being sure about the object actually piqued my interest more. And the sea and sky make this a fascinating view, one we certainly don’t get from anyone else. Just be careful!

1 Like

I just got back to the comments here, and saw that your absence has been due to not being well – I’m so sorry! Your life in the sea sounds like a wonderful adventure, or maybe better, a wonderful path! I’m sending my best wishes for healing and wellness!

1 Like