Island

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What was the first impression you got?

Did you “explore” the picture first or does it came to you as a unity?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

F11 - 16mm- iso 100- 15 sec - 4 stops ND

Specific Feedback

I like to receive feedback on the emotional aspect of my image.

Does it ask a question… What… where?

Does the abstraction makes this questions arise.??

1 Like

Hi Ulbe - My first reaction is like a dream I am involved in; very surreal and yet peaceful, too.

My first impression was to be pleasantly surprised with the liberties the photographer took with reality. My next impression was of energy conveyed by the lines and triangular shapes. I started to wander around the image, but quickly decided that I wanted to enjoy it as a whole.
Regarding questions, I presumed the basis of the image was sand dunes, and I did not care where. The quiet energy conveyed by the photograph is all that mattered to me.

Thank you Dick.
The liberty in my own reality is very important for me as you quote.
“Quiet energy” is a beautiful and important frase for me.
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Thank you so much.
Surreality and calmness are important visual elements for me.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

My initial impression was of an allegorical whale diving down, and out, the lower right corner. The overall processing makes it feel a bit dreamy, and the bright LRC gives me an impression of an underwater light playing off the “whale.”

It came to me as unity, I only explored later. I do wish it had been posted at a larger size to fully appreciate.

Excellent image. I don’t know how I missed it. Fascinating. I love how the light dissipates from bright to dark. There’s a great deal of mystery here yet it’s clear what we’re looking at.

Thank you so much for your feed-back.

Thank you Igor!