Unsuspecting

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Is this a peaceful scene or not?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

When I took this image he asked me “Don’t those people mess your image?”. I told him that I would remove them in post processing. But when I looked at the image I decided it looked better with them included. I think it tells a story. Does it for you?

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11

Specific Feedback

I am interested mostly in conceptional feedback.

BTW, I am aware that the image is tilted. I will correct that later. That is, I think it’s tilted.

Hi Igor,
I love coastal scenes and this looks like a fun and interesting place to photograph! I do find the background peaceful. The gentle subdued tones of the sky and sand are really pleasing to my eye. I find myself looking at the foreground more though as it is a bit mysterious and really gets my imagination going; it makes me think I’m looking at dinosaur bones! So, due to the foreground, I shifted from a feeling state, to a thinking state of wonder.

1 Like

Igor, there is tension in this scene for me. The object in the foreground and then the long expanse of sand without any real point of interest suggest it is still a way to get to the water. The object almost looks like some dead sea monster.

My first impression is of a desert island with few missing persons therfore the image is not peaseful for me.