Belted Kingfisher with fish

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Found some kingfishers at a small pond in a local park here. They are coming in fairly close (for kingfishers) if we sit very still in field stools.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2500, f5.6, 1/4000s, hand held

1 Like

Sweet shot, Allen. I’d dearly love to find such a place. I know one where there has been a family for several years, but they don’t use any accessible perches.

The detail looks pretty good and I love that you left the spider web-it almost makes it look like the perch is a fishing pole.

1 Like

What a catch for both you and the Kingfisher! I really like the wings up. That diagonal branch adds to the composition too. Well done.

1 Like

Great timing with the fish and wonderful to get this close to one! I wondered if it was a bit too cyan and sampled several places for WB, getting a lot of variation, but this one gave a little more color. Just an idea.

1 Like

You are killing it with these kingfisher shots. Really great wingspread and tail flip in this one. Even without the fish, it would be a winner with that smooth background and strong diagonal. I prefer the warmer wb that Diane dialed in since the whites look more natural to my eye. You could clone out the bottom two water drops if you had a mind. A super shot of a difficult bird!

1 Like

A great job on a difficult bird to photograph and with a fish, too. My initial impression was that there was a flatness to the image and I think @Diane_Miller 's work fixes that and lets the kingfisher pop more.

1 Like