Belted Kingfisher with fish + rework

Reworked version below to take more of the branches out:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this kingfisher yesterday dive for a fish at a local pond. I think these may be young of the year birds and are getting closer to us than usual. I went back to the pond this morning and only saw one distant bird so the fun for us there may have ended.

The birds always seem to fly away from me when coming up with a fish so I get a topside view and the bird angled away. Having the fish upright with eye visible here may help with a connection.

Specific Feedback

This is a large crop so the details are rather muddy on the bird. I do like the action though so decided to share this image. And I rarely get to photograph kingfishers since they usually don’t come anywhere near me out in the field. Took out some branches intersecting the bird and at the top of the frame.
Any thoughts on that or anything else?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/3200s, hand held

Wonderful catch, and the fish is the perfect touch!! The splashes give a dramatic sense of the sudden motion and a very nice 3D effect, and the floating logs are a pleasing BG of the sort we don’t often see. The IQ looks OK for a large crop at a high ISO – maybe AI will tackle noise and sharpness next…

I agree this is a great capture of a capture. I think the image quality is fine as you have lots of good detail to look at, i.e. the eyes, the splash, and the beautiful spread of the wings. Well done!

Hi Allen
That local pond seems to be a gold mine for photography. The Kingfisher just explodes of the water, the angle is great and the water droplets, feather detail and dinner are a plus.
Very Cool.
Peter

This is so cool, Allen. Perfect timing and I love the wingspread and water drops. While some might complain about all the sticks, I find them an interesting part of the story in this image.

Wow. What a shot! Good timing: I like the wing span and the position of the fish is perfect. Water splashes add a lot and I like the nice background colors. The logs and branches tell the environmental story, though some of the bird photographers I follow on You Tube would probably remove the branch across the tail and under the left wing. Also, your aspect ratio/composition works well.

@Dennis_Plank @Robena.Sirett @Allen_Brooks @Diane_Miller @peter
Thank you for the comments! I did a new version taking more of the logs out that touched the bird. I included it in the upper section.

Nice work on the removal, Allen. I don’t see any artifacts.

Excellent idea, but the position of the cut end is eye-catching. Looks like it could be extended a bit farther out before the cut, or else remove its entire length and probably the two that intersect it.